In AD122 the Emperor Hadrian ordered a mighty frontier system to be built across Britain to defend the Roman Empire from the barbarians to the North.
The result was Hadrian's Wall, a 73 mile barrier stretching from the River Tyne in the east to the Solway Firth in the west. Segedunum, which means ‘Strong Fort’, was built to guard the eastern end of the Wall, and housed 600 Roman soldiers. It stood for almost 300 years as a symbol of Roman rule and a bastion against barbarian attack.
Today, Segedunum is once again a major site on Hadrian's Wall. It is the most excavated fort along the Wall with surviving foundations of many buildings and part of the Wall itself. There is a large interactive museum plus full-scale reconstructions of a bath house and a section of Wall. The 35 metre high viewing tower provides outstanding views across this World Heritage Site.
The Friends of Segedunum support and encourage interest in the site, museum and the distinctive history of Wallsend and do this in a number of ways :
- We hold regular meetings and lectures at the museum that are open to the public.
- Some members give guided tours of the fort and Wallsend.
- Members assist in manning exhibitions, helping in the shop and cafe, meeting and greeting the public.
- We have a gardening squad who help with the herb garden and general gardening on the site.
- We have carried out research on behalf of the museum as part of the Wallquest project that led to the rediscovery of the original bathhouse at Wallsend which now forms part of the site of the museum. Some members have been very active in undertaking excavation work on site.
Become a Friend of Segedunum and you’ll get access to a range of benefits, as well as supporting the museum.
Membership benefits include:
- Free entry to the museum
- Half price entry for up to two guests
- 10% discount in the museum shop
- Invitations to previews of the latest exhibitions
- Talks and activities, and news on forthcoming events
To join the Friends of Segedunum use the contact details below.
Telephone: (0191) 278 4217 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual membership prices: Adults: £12 Concessions: £9.50