Our Upcoming Events
The Ouseburn Trust is an ambitious organisation committed to
- working with others to achieve a vibrant, diverse and sustainable future for the Ouseburn Valley,
- supporting the improvement of the physical, social and economic environment for all its communities, and
- promoting and preserving its rich heritage.
Its focus is to enable all facets of the community to participate and engage fully in what the Ouseburn Valley has to offer. It aims to improve the economic and social capital of the area for the benefit of those communities by creating the strongest, most sustainable and vibrant arts, creative and cultural cluster in the region.
The Ouseburn Trust is an effective organisation, with a clear purpose, articulated values and a positive outlook. It has a transparent and multi-skilled governance structure that is elected from its membership base. It is well managed, has a highly educated, well skilled and motivated staff team, with a successful track record of delivery.
Building on the success of previous projects, the Trust also works with local communities to place greater emphasis on the social dimension of regeneration, particularly where that supports the advancement of the arts and creative cluster and promotes wellbeing. The Trust has acted as a trusted broker and facilitator as well as deliverer of programmes and activities that deliver real benefits to the users of the valley and its adjacent communities.
Our general activities include work around the themes of
- Heritage – Oral History and Photo Archive, resources and an annual programme of Heritage Walks & Talks. Since 2010 we have also managed the Victoria Tunnel and developed the Tours.
- Community – promoting community involvement in Ouseburn’s heritage and development. We also manage the Open Doors project which works with the community buildings in Newcastle who are facing asset transfer, and offers confidence building and community mapping activities to strengthen their management committees.
- Property and regeneration – we own and rent out a number of properties in the Ouseburn. We are currently developing plans to provide housing, self build plots and commercial units on James Place Street in Ouseburn Valley.
Past projects have included creating and delivering a wide range of projects around cultural volunteering to increase employability, community advocacy, and supporting recent graduates in creative enterprise.