We are the country’s oldest provincial antiquarian society. In the two centuries since we were founded in 1813, we have encouraged a deeper understanding of the history and archaeology of North East England.
We are formally constituted under a set of Statutes, last revised in January 2005, and are a charity, registration number 230888. We produce an Annual Report and Accounts, and submit yearly returns to the Charity Commissioners.
We are governed by a council consisting of the President (elected at three-yearly intervals), the Past-Presidents, the elected officers (five Vice-Presidents, the Treasurer, the Secretaries, the Librarian, and the Editor), plus the Keeper of Collections, and up to 14 ordinary members of the Society. Follow this link for more information.
We are partners in the Heritage Lottery-funded Old Newcastle Project, covering the Castle and Cathedral area.