St James’ Heritage and Environment Group is an independent voluntary organisation set up in 2010 to support the restoration and improvement of St James’ Church building and churchyard.
The group is currently involved in a major project to map and research the graveyard, and has developed a database of the graves and burials at St James’ as a resource for people interested in researching family or local history. The group welcomes new members, financial donations, and also volunteers to support its work.
The group runs events and activities intended to explore and celebrate the history of the west end of Newcastle. We have also produced a series of local history booklets and heritage trails which are available free of charge at our drop-ins and events at St. James’ Church or can be downloaded from the “Publications and Resources” section of this website.
Visit us at St James’ Church any Tuesday 12 – 4 pm.
• Look around the historic church and graveyard.
• View the burial records, graveyard plan and other documents.
• Visit our exhibitions.
• Find out about our activities and events.
• Browse our publications.
• Take a tour of the graveyard or church.
• Share with us your memories and information about the church and the area